Sunday 23 January 2011

Antique Feast

Three times a year an antiques and textiles fair is held in Battersea Park, London. Dealers from all over England display furniture, textiles, art and collectors' items from all periods to mid 20th century. I moseyed along to the winter fair this week, my third visit over the last couple of years. 


Hanging chairs from Christopher Walker's Antique French Chair & Sofa Company. I bought a pair of slipper chairs from Christopher at a fair two years ago for a bargain price and love the tattered, raw calico upholstery so much that I've never covered them.


Gustavian style from Augustus Brandt antiques in Sussex


French style: pink toile on purple velvet at Josephine Ryan

The Battersea fair is somewhat more affordable (though this is relative!) and definitely less hectic in scale compared to some of its rival antique fairs. Free shuttle buses whisk you there and back from Sloane Square; it's uncrowded and, despite the cut-glass accents all around from well-heeled Chelsea types (many with yappy handbag dogs in tow), has a congenial atmosphere in which to wander round, admire, and chat with dealers who are friendly and decidedly un-snooty.

Lorfords Antiques from Tetbury


The foyer theme was lighting and mirrors


Stand detail of Gallery 1930, in Marylebone (above) and Appley Hoare (below)



In my mind's eye I've furnished an entire London, or even better Paris, apartment by the time I'm ready to leave, so it doesn't seem right to be empty-handed. Just one or two bits of lovely old French table linen from Jane Sacchi (below) and I'm good to go, until the next time ...


6 comments:

  1. I now know when not to visit London, or better yet when to visit with a great deal of empty luggage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that tour. It's fun to see what is on offer, and the interesting ways that the antiques dealers find to make their displays appealing.

    Fine linens were a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Karan, Congratulations! You have been awarded the "Stylish Blogger Award". Here is a link to my post to see what it is all about:
    http://ginaceramics.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html
    Warm regards,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those fairs look fabulous - I wish I could go! Thanks for taking us with you.

    I didn't know the tiny-dog-in-handbag craze had hit London. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen,
    just discovered your blog via Gina at Art and Alfalfa.

    Interestingly enough, I wrote recently 2 posts about the Battersea Fair where I was exhibiting regular for 11 years. Know all the dealers you talked about.

    Your post is absolutely lovely! Reading and looking all.....I do miss this Fair!

    Greetings from Périgord
    Karin

    It might could be interesting for you to visit my blog, You are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Karen - thank for stopping by my blog. You have expensive taste in cars... Your photographs are great. Hope you build on your early stages of affection with Scotland - lots to love. The west coast in particular - though Edinburgh in the east is pretty fab too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails