Saturday 21 February 2015

Luzern

Driving from Bolzano and Merano in the South Tyrol into Switzerland, the Flüela Pass takes you through the Swiss Alps.  
The summit (it's one of the highest in Switzerland), minus winter snow, looks barren and rocky




but soon opens out into something altogether more picture-postcard-Alps


Descending via Davos (a surprisingly unlovely town) it's late afternoon by the time you reach Luzern, where all is peace and serenity on the shores of the lake.


There's time to walk over to the KKL - Kultur- und Kongresszentrum - in Europa Platz, designed by French architect Jean Nouvel (responsible for the fabulous Institut du Monde Arabe in Paris - I posted about it here


where performers in a World Band event are chilling in front of sunset views across the river



before heading to the old town across the wooden Kapellbrücke, Europe's oldest (1333) covered bridge (arguably, since much of it was rebuilt after burning down not long ago when someone tossed a lighted cigarette at it)


for a drink on the waterside while the light fades.


Luzern, Switzerland, 2014


2 comments:

  1. Karen, you continue to wow me with your beautiful photography, and inform me with your wise commentary.

    When I see the word Davros, I immediately think of a financial television network I follow with some interest. I am always curious about what sorts of connections are made and disolved at Davros. Perhaps many novels could be set there?

    Even as my imagination blossoms during our current NYC freeze, I do wish to thank you againg, Karen, for these fabulous posts. xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails