Monday 4 October 2010

How to get to work in a tube strike

What do the 3 million people who rely on London's underground system to get to their places of work and study every day do when there's a 24 hour tube strike?


1. Ditch the heels for trainers.






2. Queue for a bus





3. Queue for a taxi





 3. Cycle


If you don't own a bike, rent a Boris Bike




or whatever




 4. Drive (no, no, your worst option)






5.  Walk




6. Expect to be late. Very late.



My journey to and from work today took 3 hours each way.  
I was glad of the trainers, though.

2 comments:

  1. Over here in New York, I have been listening to some coverage of the effect of this strike on the BBC, via my laptop.

    Every so often, we have also had public transport strikes, but they have affected both the subway trains and the buses. I definitely remember walking, and was thankful that my workplace was only a mile or so from my home.

    Our strikes were well telegraphed in advance, and lasted for more more than one day.

    I really wonder how how city would handle a last minute "wildcate" strike.

    Do you think that lots of folks chose that other option and just stayed home?

    Best wishes to you, and thanks again for your London views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frances, I think that a lot of people did just stay home - it's the sensible option if you can accomplish most of what you need to do from home. For me it was an important day to be at work, so I made the effort, but in future I would think twice. It was a powerful lesson to me, though, in how fast the underground gets you across large tracts of the city - you only learn that when you have to walk the same distance!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails